Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, September 10, 2012

Suicide Prevention Week


According to To Write Love On Her Arms, this week is National Suicide Prevention Week, and today (September 10th) is World Suicide Prevention Day. 

As you may already know, I founded R.I.S.E. (Rape Incest & Suicide Education) which aims to help those struggling with suicide to RISE above it and heal. Below is something I said to someone struggling with the loss of a loved one to suicide:

When we lose someone, especially in such a horrible way, such as suicide, it's important to remember them not for the way they left us, but for the way they lived. In stead of remembering all the grief caused by their passing, choose to remember all the good times you shared. That is the part of them that will live on forever. In the words of Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."





I thought the above quote was perfect for this day. A day when so many are grieving their lost loved ones. Sometimes all we need is someone to listen to us with an understanding heart. That's why RISE is here. If you've lost someone to suicide, please reach out and talk to someone. And if you are having suicidal thoughts yourself, we are here for you too. Suicide is not the answer. Please reach out to someone. In addition to R.I.S.E. , here is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 






I'm no professional, and I've never personally lost anyone I loved to suicide, but I have come close a few times, and it is a scary thing. I can only imagine how awful it must be to lose a loved one to suicide, but just try to remember all the good times you shared with them. 

I've also had suicidal thoughts many times throughout my life, and if you're struggling, I can tell you it gets better. Whatever you might be struggling with, it's never worth taking your own life. Suicide doesn't make things better, it only eliminates the chances of things getting better! 

 Whether you are suffering from the loss of a loved one to suicide, or whether you yourself are suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts, I can only say one thing: 


You Are Not Alone!


I leave you with the latest R.I.S.E. video:






Keep Rising! 

(R.I.S.E. Founder) 




No comments:

Post a Comment