Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Random Review: Another Earth & The Saw Lady



Here is the review I wrote of "Another Earth" on Get Glue::


When I first heard about this film during the Sundance Film Festival in 2011, I was immediately intrigued. And when I saw Brit Marling for the first time, talking about the movie, I saw a fire in her eyes that is only found in the most talented of filmmakers, and intrigue melted into determination. I knew I needed to see Another Earth. And today I finally have.

It was even better than I expected, with amazing and unique cinematography, believable and heart grabbing performances, and a beautiful storyline. I was completely sucked into this world, and I found myself surprisingly attached to the main character (played by Marling). This was probably due in part to the way the film was shot (mostly handheld with an in your face technique that many films don't use often), and in part to Marling's stunning and talented portrayal of her character. 

Yes this is an independent film, and yes it moves slowly for the first half, but then it picks up in a big way. I think it's definitely worth watching, especially if you're a fan of science fiction, or just a fan of good movies in general.



Watch the trailer for "Another Earth" here: 






Also, there is a scene in the film where one of the characters plays a saw like a violin. When I saw this, I was floored. Being a musician myself, and having been brought up surrounded by many different cultures and styles of music, I have seen a lot of things, but never something like this. It was one of my favorite scenes in the film. The idea is so unique and innovative, and the music is one of the things that made "Another Earth" great. It's amazing how such beauty can be pulled from a saw.  

Below is a video of "The Saw Lady" Natalia Paruz, 
who played the saw for the film. Prepare to be amazed:





You can find Natalia on Facebook and Twitter, as well as on her website


Keep your eye on the sky. You never know what might be out there. ;)


This has been a Random Review, 
from your friendly neighborhood Kylie Kerosene. 
Have a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment