Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Random Review: Beth Quist & Lucidity


Here's my review of Beth Quist from Get Glue:

When I was 10 years old, my mother and I were living in Boulder with my mother's then-boyfriend, who was also a musician and had a little recording studio in his home, and Beth would come over all the time to record her album "Lucidity" which was released in 1995.

I remember sitting there listening to her record one vocal track for a song, then another, and another, until she had beautiful songs filled with intricate harmonies. She also played the instruments. She is really a very talented lady if you think about it. 

Thanks to the daily repetition of recording, I already knew each song by heart by the time "Lucidity" was done, but surprisingly, I didn't get sick of it. I listened to my copy of the CD pretty regularly. My favorite songs were the upbeat and attitude-driven "American Giver" fueled by the drum beats of a doumbek, the sweet sounding "Mourning Dove" which literally sounded like flying, and the sorrowful "Goodbye" in which she hit the high the notes beautifully. "Crazy" and "Prodigy" were also amazing songs.

I haven't heard her newer music, as we moved away and lost touch not long later, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that Beth had more of an influence on me over the years than I thought. I later started recording my own vocal tracks, and then going back and recording another track, harmonizing with myself, until there were sometimes up to 10 tracks of harmony. I guess this idea kind of came from her in a way, so, thanks Beth. ;) 

Below is the only video I could find on Youtube with one of the mentioned songs in it:




Beth is still making music, and she now performs with Cirque Du Soleil! How cool is that?!? You can find her on Facebook, on Twitter, and on Youtube

This has been a Random Review from your friendly neighborhood Kylie Kerosene. Have a good week! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment